Jean F. De Neufforge Wall Art

Flemish engraver and architect, Jean F. de Neufforge (1714 – 1791) was born in Comblain-au-Pont. By the time of his birth, the fortunes of his family had declined due to the religious wars and revolutions that had ravaged the Low Countries. De Neufforge had one sister and one brother. Around 1738, he moved to Paris where he studied engraving under Edmé Babel Pierre and architecture under Blondel Jacques-François. De Neufforge contributed 19 engravings to the book titled “The Ruins of the Most Beautiful Monuments of Greece” authored by David Le Roy. De Neufforge is known for his book of architectural engravings titled “Recueil elementaire d'architecture.” De Neufforge began to become to be known from 1755. This is the year that he launched the project that occupied him for the rest of his life - the 8 folio volumes of the “Recueil élémentaire d'architecture.”

His plan was presented to the Academy of Architecture, which approved it in 1757 (September), and in November of the same year, there was an in the Année littéraire that announced the work, which had ninety six plates, for use by students, amateurs and artists. Almost all the illustrations were De Neufforge’s own work - a gigantic undertaking. The work was received well, and it was followed by additional volumes in subsequent years. In 1758, The Academy encouraged him with another endorsement. De Neufforge's designs were intended for a wide range of people, from the extremely wealthy to the middle class. Most of his work was in the Rococo style. His later work, however, showed that he had adopted the views of Andrea Palladio and Marie-Joseph Peyre.

Sorry, nothing is currently available in the category.


49 Stouts Lane
Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852

© 2020 All rights reserved.
Coffee Art | Art for the Kitchen | Vintage Coffee Art | Cappuccino Art | Espresso Art | Latte Art